Angola Cables, a dedicated wholesale carrier, has selected Ciena’s® (NYSE: CIEN) GeoMesh and Blue Planet solutions to support its new service launch on the MONET cable system, a 10,556 km subsea cable connecting Brazil and the US. The Monet Cable System is designed with open cable structure, each consortium member can select its own SLTE terminal equipment manufacture. Angola Cables owns two dedicated fibers in the Monet Cable System, provides more than 25 Tb/s of traffic between the U.S. and Latin America’s major business hub of São Paulo, Brazil. Angola Cables’ wholesale customers can utilize this additional connectivity to support surging bandwidth demands driven by on-demand applications such as over-the-top (OTT) video and cloud computing.
- As a major investor in the West Africa Cable System (WACS) consortium, Angola Cables is one of the leading capacity providers for the African West Coast and plays a fundamental role in supporting the African continent’s ever-growing needs for network connectivity.
- Angola Cables is also an operator of the MONET subsea cable, an open system, where each consortium member can select the submarine line terminals for its cable fiber pairs, providing customers with greater flexibility and choice of technology. The system is expected to be in service in the second half of 2017.
- According to Frost and Sullivan, Brazil’s cloud computing market revenue is expected to reach USD $1.1 billion this year. To handle these and other network demands between the U.S. and Latin America, Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, equipped with the WaveLogic Ai coherent optical chipset, will provide wavelengths at capacities greater than 200G between Angola Cables’ point-of-presences and without the need for regeneration.
- Additionally, Ciena’s GeoMesh spectrum sharing capability provides cost-effective connectivity while enabling wholesale customers to manage network traffic without potential disruption from other users on the open cable system.
- With Ciena’s Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) software and cloud-based SLA Portal, Angola Cables can better manage and maintain bandwidth and provide customers a real-time view of network behaviors that impact service level agreements.
- Angola Cables will also utilize Ciena Specialist Services for training and NOC supervision.